Getting involved in a healthier lifestyle doesn’t have to be tough. Sometimes, it’s as simple as gradually incorporating more nutritious foods and drinks into your diet. You’ve probably heard of superfoods – they’re foods that are packed full of healthy nutrients and antioxidants. If you haven’t added some of these amazing snacks into your diet yet, now is the time to start. The results could be life changing.
- Switch up your hot drinks. Your regular morning cup of coffee can easily be replaced for a more nutritious option. Matcha green tea is a great choice. This traditional Japanese drink has some incredible health benefits. It can relieve anxiety, boost your calorie burn, improve your heart health, and reduce inflammation around the body. What’s more, it’s packed full of cancer-fighting antioxidants.
- Spice up your life. If you battle with chronic pain or any illnesses related to inflammation, it’s time to give turmeric a try. Its primary active ingredient, curcumin, has a massive antioxidant load, and is clinically proven to battle inflammation. That means that just a small amount of turmeric in your smoothie could help you fight a wide range of diseases.
- Add some avo to your sandwich. Gone are the days when any form or fat was deemed the enemy. Avocados are loaded with all of the best kinds of fats, making them a great superfood choice for health-conscious people. They have a range of vitamins, including vitamin E and vitamin B6, and while they’re fairly high in calories, they’ll help you stay fuller for longer and prevent overeating later.
- Get on board with the chia trend. Chia seeds have been all over Instagram for the last couple years, and for good reason. These small but mighty seeds offer a wide range of vitamins and minerals, and absorb water to keep your body hydrated and nourished throughout the day.
- Crack open an egg. The humble egg got a bad reputation during the fat-fearing 1980’s, but now it’s fully back on the menu. Eggs pack a ton of protein for their small size, making them a great superfood option for energising breakfasts and post-workout snacks.
- Get juicy with kiwi fruits. For those of us who struggle with winter flu and frequent viruses, extra vitamin C is absolutely essential. That’s where the small but vitamin-packed kiwi fruit comes in. This superfood has over double your minimum dose of vitamin C for the day, making it a great choice for anyone hoping to improve their immune function or simply feel healthier.
- Enjoy your favourite healthy summer snack. We all know its super refreshing, but did you know that watermelon is also a real-life superfood? Its low sugar content and high vitamin C and A content make it a great choice for snacking on a warm day, while arginine and lycopene can help you fight heart disease and defend your body from cancer.
- Bring some colour to your salad. Beets won’t just make your salad look way more colourful; they’ll also do wonders for your health. Beets offer large doses of vitamins C, A and B, as well as antioxidants and important minerals like potassium. Add a splash of your favourite dressing and you’re in for a superfood treat.