Testosterone is a naturally occurring hormone that’s considered to be a male hormone. It’s responsible for the development of secondary male characteristics such as facial and body hair, and a deeper voice. Various Testosterone drugs are used in the Testosterone replacement therapy to counter the testosterone deficit in males.
The role of testosterone
Apart from secondary male characteristics, the testosterone is considered to affect the following in a male body
- Sperm production
- Growth of bones
- Semen level
- Bone mass
- Muscle mass
- Development of genitalia
Symptoms Of Low Testosterone Levels
Lack of testosterone production may cause the following symptoms
- Erectile dysfunction
- A decrease in libido and sexual desire
- Frequent and irregular mood changes
- Lack of energy and chronic fatigue
- An increase of fat and loss of muscles
- Failure to maintain or get an erection
The common causes of testosterone deficiency
Low levels of testosterone or primary Hypogonadism is commonly caused by the following
- Liver or kidney ailments
- Autoimmune diseases
- Genetic disorders
- Problems in Hypothalamus or Pituitary glands etc.
The normal testosterone level in a healthy adult male is considered to be in the range of 270ng per milliliter to 1070ng per milliliter. Low testosterone levels are deduced on the basis of the following
- Health status
Treatment of Hypogonadism and Testosterone drugs
The need for testosterone replacement treatment and treatment of Hypogonadism is decided on the severity of the deficiency and testosterone level in the blood. The testosterone drugs are available in many forms like creams, injectable, implantable pellets, gels, etc. The following drugs are commonly used in the treatment of Hypogonadism
- Injectable- Testosterone Cypionate, Sustanon-Testosterone, Depo-Testosterone, etc.
- Gels and creams- Axiron, Fortesta, Testim, Androgel, Androderm, etc.
- Implants- Implantable testosterone pellets, the dosage is in the range of 600-1200mg.
The implants are inserted or implanted under the skin of the buttocks or lower abdomen. They have a life of 4-5months.
Side effects of Testosterone drugs
The side effects of drugs being used depend upon its form, dosage, type, age and current health status. The side effects include the following
- skin problems like rashes or acne
- Decreased size of testicles
- Reduction in sperm production
- Fluid retention
- A change in sexual libido
The herbal supplements are dietary supplements made from natural ingredients. These are used to enhance the testosterone levels naturally through hypothalamus and pituitary glands. The legal steroid supplements are designed to mimic the effect of testosterone drugs. The androgen levels can also be improved by improving lifestyle, inclusion of nutrients in diet and regular exercising.